Current:Home > ContactAfter lots of interest in USWNT job, US Soccer zeroing in on short list for new coach -MarketPoint
After lots of interest in USWNT job, US Soccer zeroing in on short list for new coach
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:58:21
CHICAGO — U.S. Soccer is down to a "small amount, double figure" number of candidates to be the U.S. women’s new coach, and expect that person to be in place by the December camp.
This person will be the permanent coach, sporting director Matt Crocker said, ruling out the need for an interim coach through next year’s Paris Olympics.
"I’m excited about the quality and caliber of candidates that we’ve attracted," Crocker said Sunday during a roundtable with reporters ahead of the USWNT’s game against South Africa. "If that hadn’t been the case, maybe that would be a different conversation. But looking at the candidates we’re in detailed discussions with, I’m really confident that we can get the right candidate to take us forward."
U.S. Soccer and Vlatko Andonovski parted ways after the World Cup, where the USWNT made its earliest exit ever at a World Cup or an Olympics, losing to Sweden on penalty kicks in the round of 16.
STAY UP-TO-DATE: Subscribe to our Sports newsletter for exclusive content
While the rest of the world has clearly made strides, the USWNT often looked disjointed and tentative. They also struggled to maintain possession and finish, problems they had at the Tokyo Olympics, too.
"There was definitely a sense we need to be better with the ball and have more solutions, in particular in building the attack," Crocker said. "And when we faced a low block, we’ve got the ball and there’s a back five and a deep four midfield, having creative solutions in those tight spaces and having the players and also the tactics to beat the low block."
Crocker, who was hired as sporting director in April, is in the process of a federation-wide review with the intention of establishing a culture, environment and playing style that carries across all the national teams. It’s similar to what World Cup champion Spain has done to great effect, having its players play a similar style from the youth teams all the way through the senior national team.
But he’s also talked to the players, about half the team so far, about what they want in a head coach. Someone who can build strong relationships and isn’t afraid to make bold, tough decisions. Someone who can communicate those decisions clearly, too.
"There were a couple of things that came out," Crocker said. "I’m not saying for one second that that wasn’t within the last team. But those were the priorities they outlined for the next coach going forward."
Crocker is also restructuring the women’s program – something that began even before the World Cup. Rather than having general managers for each team, the head coaches for the USMNT and USWNT will report directly to Crocker.
This is all part of U.S. Soccer’s efforts to establish a cohesive plan for all its teams and bring consistency to the way they operate. Interest in the game is expected to explode in the United States with the men’s World Cup here in 2026, the United States and Mexico bidding for the women’s tournament in 2027 and the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028, and Crocker said U.S. Soccer needs a shared vision for its teams to take advantage of that.
"All we can do is put ourselves in the best position, on and off the pitch, to perform at the highest level," Crocker said, speaking specifically about the USWNT but also the entire federation generally.
"What we want is to build a system short and long term that gives us the best opportunity to be as successful as we can at the highest level."
Gio Reyna update
Crocker also revealed that USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter and young star Gio Reyna have talked "recently," and he thinks the two are "in a good place to move forward."
"I can’t wait for (Reyna) to be in camp for us to stop talking about this," Crocker said. "Until that moment happens, we’ll still keep writing about it."
Berhalter had said before the USMNT’s last camp that he still had not spoken directly to Reyna, whose displeasure at his playing time at the World Cup sparked an uproar that nearly cost Berhalter his job and fractured a lifelong friendship between the Berhalter and Reyna families.
After the World Cup, Berhalter told a leadership conference he’d nearly had to send a disgruntled player home from the tournament. Though he didn’t say the player’s name, Reyna eventually confirmed it was him.
That prompted his parents, who had already gone to U.S. Soccer officials when they’d been unhappy about decisions affecting their son, to go public with a story about a decades-old domestic violence incident involving Berhalter and his now-wife. Berhalter said he sought counseling after the incident, and there is no indication anything like that has happened again.
A U.S. Soccer investigation concluded Berhalter did not violate any of its policies, clearing him to be rehired as the USMNT coach.
"Clearly, there’s been a lot of emotions over the last 12 months," Crocker said. "But the common connection is they both want the program to be successful. That’s the starting point. There’s a clear way forward and a professional way of working.
"They’re both ready," Crocker added. "Gio’s looking forward to the next camp, as soon as he’s fit, and Gregg’s looking forward to working with him."
Reyna was with the USMNT for the Nations League games in June. But he broke his leg during the tournament, and only returned to training with Dortmund in late August. He has not yet played in a game for his club team.
veryGood! (33298)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Target's new Diane von Furstenberg collection: Fashionistas must act fast to snag items
- Heat records keep puzzling, alarming scientists in 2024. Here's what to know.
- Longtime Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos dies at 94
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Nevada’s first big-game moose hunt will be tiny as unusual southern expansion defies climate change
- Maximize Your Time and Minimize Your Spending With 24 Amazon Deals for People Who Are Always on the Go
- Women’s March Madness live updates: Today’s games and schedule, how to watch and stream
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Former Rep. George Santos says he's leaving the Republican Party, will run as an independent
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Turn Your Bathroom Into a Spa-Like Oasis with These Essential Products from Amazon's Big Spring Sale
- King Charles, relatives and leaders express support for Princess Kate after cancer diagnosis
- This $11 Eyeshadow Stick is So Good, Shoppers Say They're Throwing Out All Their Other Eyeshadows
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Princess Kate has cancer. How do you feel now about spreading all those rumors?
- NBC’s Chuck Todd lays into his network for hiring former RNC chief Ronna McDaniel as an analyst
- What's in a name? Maybe a higher stock. Trump's Truth Social to trade under his initials
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Grand Canyon gets first March Madness win, is eighth double-digit seed to reach second round
Burn Bright With $5 Candle Deals from the Amazon Big Sale: Yankee Candle, Nest Candle, Homesick, and More
Drake Bell Calls Josh Peck His Brother as Costar Supports Him Amid Quiet on Set Revelation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Comedian Kevin Hart is joining a select group honored with the Mark Twain Prize for American humor
King Charles III and Princess Kate have cancer. What they've said, what to know
A total eclipse is near. For some, it's evidence of higher power. For others it's a warning